A Custom Fountain Makes Any Environment Look Beautiful
My personal project - a custom water wall for the entryway to a large home.
I recently had a client who contacted me looking for a 6't by 9'w waterfall feature, so that they could create a more stylish entryway to their large, custom home. The space was large, with a 18' wide wall sitting directly in front of the door. They definitely were interested in using a polished stainless steel and also decide to build with a black spider marble. Having settled on the basic materials, we continued to finalize the customization process by discussing the following points.
- Would they like to have additional lighting or filtration systems added to the unit? A UV filter can help reduce the amount of algae and bacteria growth in any custom fountain so it is always something I recommend.
- Are there any special plumbing requirements that the builders should be aware of? Many custom fountains can be built with in and out plumbing and can also be outfitted with an auto-fill and drain, which will greatly reduce the time it takes to maintain your water wall.
- Finally, are there any additional building or weight restrictions your project requires? Many aspects of the design process will revolve around the final installation and location for the waterfall, so it is important to choose a location that is ideal for the piece.
A Beautiful Custom Water Feature
An expert guide to finding the right custom water feature for your client.
Step 1. Conceptualization – This is the most basic phase of the building process. Initially our designers will need to get a more definitive understanding of exactly what it is you are looking for. Our team will communicate with you to gather the necessary information required to provide you with a basic quote and drawing. Some things to consider include, the location of the installation, the style of the surrounding décor, and the overall size and materials you would like to build with. One of our designers will work with you to help create the water wall of your dreams. To request a custom fountain quote now, please click here.
Step 2. Material Selcection and Design Modifications – Now that our team has more information, one of our digital architects will create the first, most basic mock-up of your custom waterfall project. Using a computer assisted drawing program, a team member will provide you with a three dimensional model of the water feature you are interested in building. This drawing will include the dimensions and sizing requests you have made. You will notice several various components, each of which you will need to select materials for. A brief description of each is located below.
• FOUNTAIN FACE - The fountain face is the largest and most visible area on the custom water feature. It is the most prominent material and will provide the backdrop for the waterfall. You can select from a limitless list of materials including : Stone (Slate, Marble, Pebble, Rock), Glass (Bronze or Silver Mirrored Glass, Clear Glass, Rain Glass, Custom Glass), Metal (Stainless Steel, Bronze, Copper), and Synthetic Materials (Acrylic Hand Painted, Tile, and Lightweight Slate). We also build with Rain glass, Polycarbonate, Etched Glass, and Acrylic sheets up to 35’ tall. Additional if you have pre-selected materials we can build the fountain face with almost anything they have. • FOUNTAIN RESERVOIRS (Top Trey and Bottom Trey) - The water feature reservoirs are located at the top and bottom of the fountain and are more specifically referred to as the top trey and the bottom reservoir. The top trey houses the water distribution unit, which is just a technical way of saying "the perforated pipe at the top of the fountain that the water flows out of to create the waterfall." The bottom reservoir holds the water and also houses the submersible pump. A quick side note, all the submersible pumps we use operate off of a standard 110 volt AC outlet, meaning you can plug it into your wall socket and that there is no need for any additional wiring. Each of these components is normally made with marine grade stainless steel, but can also be powder coated to several different finish options. There are a limitless number of powder coat options available to you, but to name a few : brushed stainless steel, copper patina(shiny, popping), copper vein (dull, rustic), and black onyx.
• ADDITIONAL OPTIONS - There are several additional options and upgrades that can be added to any custom fountain. First of all, you may decide that you would to have lights built into your custom water wall. Depending upon the overall size and location of the fountain, we generally recommend a combination of down lighting and up-lighting. This provides more than enough lighting, with LED or halogen lights installed in both the bottom and top treys. We also recommend adding a remote control so that you can operate the lights and pumps from a distance. If you are a business owner, you may also be interested in adding a custom logo or image to the face of the fountain. We can do add any image, any logo, pretty much anything you can imagine. There are two basic ways to add a logo to your feature: o The first option is laser etch or sand blast the logo into the face. This is the most highly recommended method and creates the most dramatic affect. Once the surface has been etched we can then add a color (or colors) of their choice to the etching. The sizing, location, and coloring is all signed off and approved by the client prior to any action. o The second option is to add a vinyl, adhesive style logo to the fountain face. This is generally recommended for extremely detailed or intricate designs, however it can over time become damaged due to contact with the waterfall.
Step 3. Formal Quote and Final Drawings – After you and your custom water feature designer have worked through the most intimate details of your project, he or she will send over a formal quote with a finalized drawing for your approval. At this time they will also provide you with a custom water feature quote, that includes the pricing for the selected materials, shipping, and possible installation costs. After reviewing these materials you can make a fully informed decision as to whether or not to work with our company. We highly recommend you do and so do these leading interior designers. **We require a 65% deposit down prior to building, the full details of our custom water feature building agreement can be found here.
Step 4. Sit Back, Relax, and Let Us Get Our Hands Dirty – So you have reviewed the final drawings, selected the material options, and agreed to the total price so, what do you do know? For us, this is by far our favorite part of the entire process. We love the opportunity to work with you to create an unimaginably perfect water feature for your indoor space. There is literally nothing we enjoy more than bending steel, cutting glass, and shaping form out of the raw, imaginative vision you provide us with. As our engineers make progress, your custom waterfall specialist will update you with photos, videos, and more so that you are completely involved with the manufacturing process. It is our primary concern to maintain open and consistent communication with each of our clients during the construction process. Once your water feature is completed, tested, and approved it will ship directly to the location you have provided us with.